Monday, June 30, 2008

As midterm reviews approach I've been working on cleaning up any and all messy hacks so I can have a nice presentation. Last week I started using the Makefile.am instead of bash scripts. This week I tried cleaning it up further so that libmemcached is compiled automatically as needed instead of as a pre-installed dependency. Now any developer can download and compile my modifications without having to jump through hoops.

I'm beginning to feel as though the build tools are more difficult to edit than the code itself.
After numerous 'unable to find header' errors I think I have finally fixed every INCLUDE declaration necessary. I think this has put me a bit behind for the midterm review and caused a bit of stress, but I think this will save me a great deal of time overall.

Had my first segfault while working on the project last week, it was a pain to track down without a debugger. The Eclipse debugger doesn't play nicely with MySQL on my machine at the moment. I've been poking around with Netbeans as well though I haven't tried debugging with it yet.

I am still shooting for being able to cache and hit by next week.
That is my goal for a "Hello World" of sorts.

The one question that worries me on the review sheet is along the lines of "have they earned $2,000?". I have a great deal of difficulty associating time and code with money. I've been coding since middle school... I code in my spare time, I code for fun, I code at work, but coding and money aren't linear in my mind. If you based it just on hours spent, I don't think I've put in 200 hours into this project yet, though I am getting close.

I worry too much, back to coding!

No comments: