Sunday, June 01, 2008

Still haven't heard back from my mentor but I've been forging ahead. I know how busy things can get.

I've been working on interfacing out the caching system and attempting to refactor existing code.
I want to keep things fast and efficient, but simple enough that the interface applies to any caching system. I've been trying to use Eclipse and the CDT plugin to trace where the Query cache is called and how it is currently used.

For any caching solution there are a few basic methods:
-init() //gets things started
-resize() //resizes the cache to a specified size

-store() //stores an entry in the cache
-retrieve() //retrieves an entry from the cache

-invalidate() //invalidates all entries that match certain parameters
-flush() //flush the whole cache

It would be nice to refactor the interface down to just these few methods but the way things look at the moment it may not be that simple...

As wonderful and useful as Eclipse is with Java, the CDT plugin has a long way to go in terms of stability and features. It hurts almost as much as it helps! *crash*

Reports are due Monday and I really need to put in more time to have something to show.

No comments: